Saturday, December 8, 2007

Lake Michigan

That night we wet our feet in Lake Michigan, right before we were arrested, I was going to tell you that there isn’t always a lesson to be learned in sorrow. Sometimes we create our own pain. You wouldn’t have believed me though. You never did listen when I tried to tell you life didn’t have to be so hard.

I realized that night we wouldn’t work out. From the back of the patrol car I watched you throw your body onto the concrete beside the five foot marker, manipulating the officers into giving you what I wouldn’t.

Later when they visited, the fresh officer asked if it was the drugs or if you were always that way. I assured him it was the drugs. Then the doctor asked if I wanted to go to the shelter. I told him I didn’t, but you know I was never very good at lying.

No comments: